About the area
4 km away along a quiet, country road is NOYANT. This small town has a general supermarket, 2 pharmacies, a post-office, papershop, 2 bread and cake shops, hairdressers, doctors, dentists and an optician as well as other shops.
It also has a jolly good market (the cheese and fish stalls are usually particularly good). Please note though that the French people do like to take their holidays in August and the Market always has fewer stalls at this time.
More extensive shopping opportunities are available at Baugé (20 mins), Saumur (30 mins), Angers (40 mins), Tours (50 mins) and Le Mans (1 hr).
The Loire Valley / Maine et Loire region
Le Muguet is well placed for exploring and investigating all of the Val de Loire.
Châteaux : Baugé, Saumur, Angers, Langeais, Tours, Villandry, Amboise, Ussé, Chenonceau ……….
Vineyards : Bourgeuil (25 mins), St Nicholas de Bourgeuil (25 mins), Saumur, Chinon, Vouvray ……
Childrens’ Activities abound (within a 40min drive) and include:
- Holly Park activity centre
- Wildlife centres such as Doué Zoo – a marvellous day out for all the family in a beautiful setting, this zoo specialises in breeding and preservation of endangered species
- Troglodyte dwellings and caves (many still inhabited) in and around Saumur
- Tank Museum and remarkable displays with the horses of the Cadre Noir.
Tourist Office try www.saumur-tourisme.com to see what’s on during your visit.
Seaside: our nearest is due west with lovely sandy beaches, just north of St Nazaire. With an early start this is possible as a day trip but at just over 2½ hours we wouldn’t recommend it for very young children.
Lakeside relaxation, swimming, pedaloes etc., are available, together with tennis courts, picnic areas and lots more including an old steam train trip, at Rillé, 15 minutes from the cottage.
Golf: nearest is Baugé where there is also Horse Riding. There are other golf courses within half an hour of the cottage - ask us if you would like more information re: standard of courses, green fees etc.
- Le Muguet, just across the farm access road almost opposite the entrance gate, has its own entrance to a pond with many carp, including mirror carp. A pond rod is provided. No permit is required as this part of our own land. You can of course also just sit quietly by the pond and dream, without having to fish!
- Mouliherne and Rillé, both only a short drive away, have large fishing lakes.